Registry office data
Municipalities work in collaboration with the INSEE to handle the identification of citizens and produce demographic statistics.
The municipalities constantly send information to the INSEE concerning the civil status of their citizens. They send :
- birth declarations on a daily basis,
- death declarations weekly,
- marriage declarations and child declarations monthly with the indication "deceased" in the margin.
The INSEE then proceeds to codify i.e. to translate the responses to the different questions in the declarations into numerical data. It checks that the declarations are exhaustive, and cross-checks the consistency of responses within the same declaration.
This enables the INSEE to perform two essential tasks :
- to manage the National Directory of Natural Persons (RNIPP), by means of which all persons born in France are identified once and only once. This directory feeds the National inter-scheme health insurance register (RNIAM) on a daily basis in order to enable the Vitale social security card to be issued immediately for newborn infants, the affiliation of persons to a social security regime and the updating of retirement pensions.
- to publish regular civil status statistics, used to analyse the demographic situation and its evolution, even for small territories, while naturally respecting the rules of statistical secrecy.
The law enabling same-sex couples to marry and adopt children was promulgated and published in the Official Journal on 18 May 2013. The INSEE has adapted civil status declarations (2 and 1A) so that all marriages and adoptions can be declared by municipalities. Civil status declarations can be downloaded below and have been updated to take account of these developments. The AIREPPNET tool enabling the electronic entry of these declarations has also been modified.
- Contact : email@example.com